Friday, August 21, 2009

David's wedding

David, my long time guy friend, FINALLY got married. Yea! I have already asked him when the babies will begin to appear. His first response to me was 3 years. At his wedding, I heard him say 2 years. I bet by this week, its down to 1 year, what do you bet?

He and I have been friends since high school and I love him dearly. NO, now don't start. Its not and never has been THAT kind of love. The only time we have held hands was in support of one another during a rough time and there has never been any kissing or hanky panky involved (unless you count a few brother/sister type pecks on the cheek). I helped him stay out of the principal's office in high school. He met my dad by going to fast on radar. He nearly came undone when he realized that was MY dad who pulled him over. My mom still knows his favorite brand of cereal. After his freshman year of college, I traveled with his mom to bring him home for the summer. I stayed with him in the dorm...and we slept on the only available option...a twin size mattress. We slept back to back and somehow neither one of us fell off the mattress and onto the concrete floor. Maybe it was because we only got about 4 hours of sleep that night. I spent a week with him in Colorado living in his room in a fraternity house. I slept on the couch and by mid-week the few other guys in the house (it was summer) truly understood that he had not brought home a live-in lover.

Ok, back to the wedding. I was so excited to see his family and meet the love of his life. She rocks. The wedding was beautiful, although Ep spent the entire wedding in the truck with Kale because there was no way Kale was going to stay quiet in a glass chapel and because you aren't allowed to be anywhere but the glass chapel, at least according to the groundskeepers. Seriously, they couldn't even go on the very pedestrian friendly paths. Ok, well, whatever. I enjoyed the wedding and resisted the urge to stand up and yell HOORAY when they said "I do". I did give my buddy a low five as he walked out of the chapel with his bride. I still have no idea how he convinced her to marry him and that is said with all my love. David will laugh if he read that and also say it is true.

We hit the reception. And I mean hit. Kale tore through the place at Mach 5 and had it all explored in 3.2 seconds. A sit down meal. With a non-sit-down-to-eat-for-more-than-ten-minutes toddler who was already pushing his bedtime. Wow. We lived. Kale and my parents were back at the hotel by 9pm and Kale slept all night. We had fun until they closed down the reception at 10pm. I saw people I hadn't seen in quite a while. I realized that some people never change. Oh, and we had fun. We took the truck back to the hotel and utilized the $5/person limo ride. Ep expected a bus. I expected a limo. By the way...shhh, but it was my first limo ride ever. Yep, really. At my age. They were skipped at prom, my wedding, and everything in between. We joined some of my old buddies and thier wives and had a good time.

One of the funniest things I heard all night: When leaving the reception, people were making comments about changing into more comfortable clothes. I made the comment that this was the first time I had worn a dress in I don't know when, so I wasn't going to change. One of my old buddies laughed and said he was going to admit what he had told his wife earlier in the evening..."I don't think I have EVER seen Marcia in a dress." True, he probably hadn't. I wore a dress to school two times in high school: one was required while I gave a speech in class and the other was the result of a dare. I didn't exactly show up to soccer practice with the boys in a dress either. Most days, I don't think they remembered I was even a girl.

I wish I would have had more time with my buddy. However, I was glad to see him happy and in love. That is a very, very good thing.

No comments: