Thursday, October 16, 2008

One more night....and all day....

I have one more night...and not even a full night....I have to be downstairs for a taxi at 4am. Then, I will be traveling all day. I am seven hours ahead of the Arkansas right now. 4am here will be 9pm there...and my flight will leave at 10pm Arkansas time. I get in at tomorrow afternoon around 5pm Arkansas time. I CAN NOT wait. Of course, my seat on the flight into Arkansas is near the back of the plane. But, I am really just praying I make my connection in Prague, as I only have 30 minutes there. Ironically, or blessedly, I got lost there TWICE when I was coming to Kosice...so now I really know to pay attention and watch where I am going there in the morning. God works in your favor if you let Him. I laughed out loud when I realized the way that He had made sure to let me know that I need to pay attention and not miss my gate in the morning.
Ok...here is a summary of my day....
  • The morning started with a meeting and the meetings were concluded with lunch. Everything went well and by 1:30pm we were on the road.
  • The Slovakia (Marta) took me and my boss to a cave....yes, a cave. Oh yea...um, not really. I still feel like I have walked all over Poland and Slovakia....and we had to walk around while we waited 45 minutes for the next tour...which consisted of the three of us and a Slovak couple. Did I mention that after you enter the cave, they lock the door....nothing like being locked in a cave....with bats. Seriously, they had to unlock the door on the other end of the tour to let us out. Then...we drove back to the town where we had spent the last couple of days...and kept driving. So, yes, we drove a full hour out of our way for this cave.
  • Then, as we traveled to Kosice (where we will begin our flights tomorrow), we got stuck on the side of a moutain...in a traffic jam...because a Hungarian semi truck had somehow managed to break down in the middle...yes, middle...of the road. I am guessing his clutch failed....because we had to wait 45 minutes to get past him...and by then I am certain they could have stopped traffic enough to let him roll backwards to either of the TWO places on the side of the road which were plenty big enough for his park. But no...the middle of the road it was....
  • We got to Kosice and it only took us about 20 minutes to find our hotel, which was much better than the 2 hours it took me and Piotr to find our hotel in Krakow. We enter the hotel, or so we think, only to find ourselves in an unlit corridor...and we can hear music that only continues to get louder as we continue down the corridor. We open the door to "reception" and get blasted by music. Yep, I am thinking...this is so not going to be good. We find our way to the steps that lead to reception...again, no elevator and I am literally cursing myself for packing so much. Ugh. Turns out the celebration is supposed to last until 10pm...oh goody...that will give me 5 hours of sleep...before traveling for 21 hours straight. They are celebrating 60 years...of what, we don't know. We asked if it was an anniversary and they said no. So, 60 years of something is being celebrated really well by a group of people who are ALL old enough to be my grandparents....and did I mention that the music is loud and is hip/hop and dance music. Its not necessarily old European music either...its current stuff, like what is apparently in the clubs.
  • The flip side is that I am in a GREAT room. I have cable internet...which it took me a bit to find...a long hallway that leads to my bedroom...the other side of the bed is actually made...meaning I can spread out on something that doesn't equal a twin bed! I have a tv, but haven't yet been able to turn it on...oh well. Then, I discovered I have a portable fan. In all of my travels to Europe...which now includes 8 countries....and several hotels (um, six on this trip)...I have NEVER had a portable fan in my room. Most of this area of Europe doesn't even have air conditioners...much less a portable fan! I hooked that sucker up and then tried to figure out how to open my windows. They are ceiling windows...on a slope. I can just reach them to turn the handle....but if I push them up, I won't ever be able to close them. So, I got smart and hooked a clothing hangar to each handle....and pushed them slightly up. Thank goodness, the windows have strong hinges that hold them in place. :)

So, I am going now...the next time you hear from me, hopefully it will be from the United States...much love and hugs to everyone...

No comments: