Friday, January 22, 2010

This is what you call sick?

Yesterday, even after we had visited the doctor's office, I made this comment: "If it weren't for his fever, he would be ready to go to school."

The same can be said today. I have a feeling that by tonight, we are all going to wish I would have tanked him on Motrin and sent him to school.

Let me recap the past 24 hours. I took him to the doctor. Ears looked fine, chest sounded ok. Doc said its something viral. Then added that with most kids, he would let it go...but this is Kale, so he wants him to take Tamiflu. Yes, that is the antiflu medicine. So, we got his medicine and went to lunch with daddy before heading home for a nap. We filled our bellies and then we slept while daddy went back to work. We summoned Mema for Kale duty on Friday.

After nap, Kale was his normal little playful self. I remember thinking there is no way he has the flu. Daddy came home and sent me to photography class. All was well and at bedtime, Kale didn't have a fever. By the time I got home, Mema was rolling in as well. Both of my fellas were in thier respective beds and snoring. We went in to check on our poor sick boy. As I felt him for fever, he woke up. I didn't worry about him waking up because he was hot and needed medicine anyway. He raised his head and saw Mema standing there. He flopped his head back down on the pillow and buried it there for about 30 seconds. Then, he raised his head back up and said: HI MEMA! That was at 9:45pm and he seriously didn't shut up until after 2:30am. I would like to blame that on some medicine, but that won't work because he hadn't been given anything for 6+ hours until I gave him the Motrin (which doesn't affect him that way).

It was like we gave him a dose of speed. He was all over the place, talking nonstop, and talking loudly at that. I could hear him through 2 closed doors! Oh Mema, you are a dose of speed. After who knows how many videos, playing, talking, and singing....Mema brought him back to me at 2:30am. I took him to his room, we curled up with a bottle, and off to sleep he went.

At 4:45am, I woke up to find hot feet on me once again. Hello fever. So, he got a dose of Motrin and a dose of Delsym. It was a struggle to get him to take them. Somewhere, there was a conversation about Mema's car and Cracker Barrell. Then he wanted to go to mommydaddy bed. So, off we went. Daddy gave a big sigh and just bailed out of bed at 5am. Kale went back to sleep and we slept until 7am. It was at that point that he sat straight up in bed, asked for Mema and her car and Cracker Barrell. Later, Mema said there was no way that she was taking him anywhere because it was like he was on crackspeed. Very appropriate Mema...not one or the other but a combination of both. It fit!

So, while Mema and I tried to prop our eyelids open this morning, Kale ran circles around the dining room table. If this is the flu and if this is being sick....WOW!

I came to work and haven't heard from them since. Either Mema is sprinting to keep up with him or he hit the wall...and I know that both of them are in for a monster nap today. I just wish I could take it with them!

No comments: