Sunday, January 31, 2010

Arkansas Children's Hospital

As our two year old runs wild through the house, Ep and I sat captivated by a segment on Dateline NBC tonight. If you missed it, you can find it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/

Within the first few minutes of the show, tears filled my eyes. Its funny what you think your mind has forgotten and the sounds that can bring it all back. As I heard the monitors beeping, I momentarily was filled with thoughts of 2+ years ago when our world was surrounded by beeping monitors. As we watched the show, I couldn't help but think about what a true miracle was performed on Kale while he was a patient there.

As Kale bounces from the couch to the floor and down the hall and back again, I can't help but be filled with a gratitude that is beyond words. Its a gratitude to God for giving Kale's doctors and nurses the ability to save his life. Its a gratitude to those same doctors and nurses for giving themselves to such a grueling profession and in turn for knowing how to take care of Kale. Its a gratitude for all the support staff and services that helped us through that journey. As is the case for many families, not once through that journey did anyone pressure us about how we were going to pay for the medical costs. Then, when the time was right, they figured out which financial programs would best serve Kale with his current/future medical needs. In the end, it was with their help that we secured coverage for Kale that would end up covering every single medical expense that he had incurred from birth and is still covered by that for all his current medical expenses.

Right now, I am working on my annual effort to raise money for Arkansas Children's Hospital (ACH). There is a link to my effort in the top right corner of this blog. I am asking for your help. Please help me raise some money to help children and families at ACH--because any money going into the efforts of that hospital will have a lasting impact of the children who are or who will be patients there. Please...if only a few dollars...please donate!!!! Please pass this along to any of your family and friends who might like to donate a little bit as well.

I can't count the number of families that I personally know who have had children as patients at ACH. My own brother was a patient there once. If you have family/friends in Arkansas, then you probably know someone who has been or will be a patient at ACH...or one of their close friends/family will be. Its an AMAZING hospital that provides care not only for the children, but for the entire family as well. Please, I beg you, GIVE!

If you want to read more about Kale's journey at ACH....go here and look at the posts on 11/5/07: www.caringbridge.org/visit/prayforkale

No comments: